BA ( Geography- Honors) – 8 Semesters ( 4 years)
BA ( Geography) – 6 semesters ( 3 years)
Pass in PUC/10+2 with a minimum of 45% marks in Arts, commerce and science streams (40% in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST category)from any recognized Board/Council or of any other qualification recognized as equivalent there to.
Department of Geography
The Subject Geography is derived from two Greek words ‘Geo’ and ‘Graphy’. The word Geo means “Earth” and Graphy means “Description”. Geography is the earth science. It Studies all thecomponents of the earth like Atmosphere, Lithosphere, Hydrosphere, and Biosphere. This subject facilitates to take up IAS, IFS, IPS, B.Ed, KAS, NET, KSLET and other entrance examinations, including the Survey of India. The subject Geography is taught through theory and practical base. It provides complete information about the universe.
In the past 42 years many students have graduated successful and secured jobs in various reputed organizations and have brought laurels to the department, the institution and to themselves.
The department aims to develop academically competence among students. A Geography degree enables them to embark on a career in a wide range of field like education , commerce, industry,transport, tourism and public sectors. In order to maintain the standard of education, the department constantly upgrades the academic information as to keep the students well trained, to develop an understanding of how environment and climatic factors have influenced our life.
- To help students understand the dynamic interrelationship between the physical and the human world.
- To enable students to acquire the ability of interpreting the physical world.
- To make students understand the key parts of spatial and temporal variation.
- To develop in students skills related to interpretation, analysis of the physical world.
- The department ensures that students who major in Geography will be skilled in disciplinary theories, methodologies and content.
- To acquire, analyse, evaluate and interpret geographic data.Identify and assess how geographic concepts can be applied in the workplace and in everyday life to solve real world problems.
- Understand earth’s tectonic and structural evolution.
- Gain knowledge about earth’s interior.
- Develop an idea about the concept of plate tectonics andresultant landforms.
- Acquire knowledge about types of folds and faults and earthquakes, volcanoes and associated landforms.
Facilities of the Department
- Wi-Fi enabled Geo lab.
- Geo lab has best Physical, Political,
- Transportation maps and Realistic models,
- Survey Instruments.
- Experienced faculties.
- Internship ,projects.
Economic and Environmental consultant
Activities of the Department:
- Organized seminars in the classroom on various topics related to Geography for BA students.
- Students have taken up minor projects on different topics in coorg such as transportation data, tourist attractions in coorg, etc.
- Every year we organize picnics and study tours encouraging students to prepare tour reports, collect different types of soils and rocks.
- Due to covid 19 online classes were held.
- 2016-17 batch of students went on one day picnic to Chamundihills, Shivanasamudra, Talakadu ect.
- Our students visited Coorg Orange Growers Co-operative society in Gonikoppal.