DEPARMENT OF BOTANY
The department of Botany was founded in the year 1973 when the degree courses for Bachelor of science (B.Sc. – CBZ) was introduced. The department intends an idea in the students to explore the world of life science and contribute to the rapidly expanding field of life science.
We strive to create and provide an ambient learning atmosphere and prepare students for academics, industry and productive application of this knowledge in everyday life. The department was rich with versatile teachers since its inception.
Faculty from the department mentor students continuously for their research explorations and career guidance. The department encourages students to perform better by participating in academic discussions and extracurricular activities. Students are encouraged for seminars, projects, workshops, career guidance and opportunities to participate in inter collegiate competitions.
The associations of the department are “Science Association” and “Shrusti – nature club” managed by students and departmental faculties. Associations conduct with regular programs like trekking, field visit, visit to research institution, botanical tours, fests and competitions.
B.Sc. Botany (Honors)- 8 semesters (4 years)
B.Sc. (CBZ) – 6 Semesters (3 years)
Eligibility criteria – Pass in PUC/ 10+2 with at least 45% marks in science streams, (40% in case of candidate belonging to SC/ST category) from any recognized board/ council of or any other qualification recognized as equivalent there to.
On completion of program students will be able to
· Apply the knowledge of basic science, life science and fundamental process of plants.
· Apply modern techniques and instruments for biochemical estimation, molecular biology, biotechnology, plant tissue culture experiments, cellular and physiological studies of plants with an understanding of the application in human life.
· Analyze and interpret results generated through studies in botany, taxonomical treatments, field studies, excursions, tours and laboratory techniques used in the subject.
FACILITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Well-equipped Botany laboratory
NATIONAL SCIENCE DAY 2018
· To encourage young minds and to show the importance of science in everyday life National Science Day was organized by department of science on 1st of March, 2018 Thursday at Seminar Hall. The theme of the day was “Science and Technology for a Sustainable future”.
· The function started with the inauguration, chief guests were Dr. Indira Kalyana Sundaram, Scientist, Department of Botany, Madras University, K,G Uthappa, Secretary Cauvery Education Society (R) and Dr. Rohini Thimmaiah, Principal, Coorg Institute of Pre-University college, ponnampet.
· Mime show was performed by the students of I B.Sc. to create an awareness of the importance of water.
· In connection with National Science Day celebration 2018 general science quiz were conducted for non-science staff.
· Our BSc students paid visit to KVK Gonikoppal, for a session on Food processing techniques in February 2019.
· National Science day was organized on 28th Feb 2019, the Chief guest of the event was Prof I. K Biddappa, (Rtd.Principal), Driector, Cauvery College Gonikoppal. The resource person was Dr.J.G Manjunath, HOD, Department of Chemistry, Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa College who delivered a talk on ‘Electrochemical sensors for the detection of bioactive molecules’ for the students of BSc
· On Saturday 20th July 2019, SCIENCE ASSOCIATION INAUGURATION was organized by Science department. It was presided by Dr. A.C.Ganapathy, President, Cauvery Education Society, Gonikoppal, Sri. KG Uthappa, Hon. Secretary, Cauvery Education Society, Gonikoppal, Prof. Kusumadhar K V, Principal, Cauvery College, Gonikoppal were present. Chief Guest of the program Dr. Nithin K.S, Asst. Professor, National Institute of Engineering, Mysuru gave an informative session to the students on ‘Future prospects of Science’.
· SCIENCE ASSOCIATION Organized Sir M VISVESVARAYA BIRTH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION On Saturday, 14th September, 2019 at the Seminar Hall. It was presided by Prof.K V Kusumadhar, Principal, Cauvery College, Gonikoppal. The Chief Guest was Miss. Sushmitha, Lecturer in Kannada, CIT PU College, Ponnampet and Resource person of the day was Dr. Priyadarshini MM, Associate Professor, Dept. of Pathology, Kodagu Institute of Medical Sciences, Madikeri.
· BSc students visited a training session at Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Gonikoppal on ‘Food processing’ in January 2020.
· On behalf of NSD 2020, Science Association organized Science Day celebration on 29th February 2020, at the Seminar hall. The program was presided by Prof. K.V. Kusumadhar, Principal, CCG, Chief guests of the function were Sri. C.K Uthappa, President, Cauvery education society and Sri. M.N. Ramesh, Rtd. Prof, College of Forestry, Ponampet. In connection with NSDC various events like quiz, PPT presentation, Collage and debate competitions were organized for the students which was followed by prize distribution.
· Online classes were regularly conducted for the students of BSc 2021-2022
· On 09-11-2021 orientation program was jointly Organized by Science department to BSc students. Students were given an introduction about the NEP (New education policy) and all the Science departments and Laboratories.
· On 04-12-2021 PUC students from Cauvery College Virajpet had been taken to visit departmental laboratories for specimen observation.
· Inauguration of Science Association and Nature club(Shrusti) in collaboration with IQAC was held on 11th December 2021 by the Science department. Chief guest of the event was Miss. Nishma B T, Project Associate at CFTRI.
· On 14th December 2021 Nature club Shrusti had organized one-day trekking to Kabbe hills, Chellavara falls and Nalknad palace to the BSc students.
· III B.Sc. students along with Science faculty members visited a training programme at Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Gonikoppal on ‘A look into weather forecast and related Apps in agriculture’ and ‘Petroleum conservation’ by Dr.Harish, Subject matter specialist, Agrometerology on 25th February 2022, which was very informative to the students.
· With regard to National Science day NSD-2022 various programs were conducted for students within the department. Botany department organized painting and drawing competition for the student’s, topic was “Incredible India”
· The Department of Science and IQAC jointly Organized NATIONAL SCIENCE DAY NSD-2022 on Feb 28th 2022. The Chief Guest was Sri. D. Krishna Chaithanya, Graduate Assistant Master (Facilitator), Gonikoppal High School who gave a talk to the students on ‘Integrated Approach in Science and Technology for a sustainable future’ the theme of NSD 2022. Prof. M.B Kaveriappa, Principal, Cauvery College, Gonikoppal, Dr. A.S Poovamma, Vice-Principal Cauvery College, Gonikoppal, Prof. M.S Bharathy, Coordinator IQAC, Cauvery College, Gonikoppal were present.
Students of II B.Sc. performed a mime act on Excessive use of Mobile phones to bring awareness to students. Various inter-class activities were conducted for the students.
· A trip was organized to III BSc students to Goa. As a part of curriculum, our II BSc students had paid industrial visit to Kelton, Dharmasala, Kannur for practical exposure and insights to real working environment on 1st July 2022.